Pterostylis aspera complex (Shell orchids)
Flowering – May to August
There are 7 Western Australian species
- Rosette leaves are present on non-flowering plants only.
- Flowering plants have stem leaves.
- Plants are found in colonies.
- Mostly winter flowering
Green-veined shell orchid (Pterostylis scabra)
Curled-tongue shell orchid (Pterostylis rogersii) 02/07/2017
Dwarf shell orchid (Pterostylis brevichila) 01/07/2017
Red-veined shell orchid (Pterostylis hamiltonii) 12/08/2018
Pterostylis nana complex (Snail orchids)
Flowering – May to November
There are 34 recognised Western Australian species
- Flowering and non-flowering plants have a rosette of leaves (Exception – Robust snail orchid).
- Labellum is not visible (Exception – Shy greenhood).
- Narrow, thickened or clubbed lateral sepals.
- Flowers are generally much smaller than the similar Shell orchids.
Shy greenhood (Pterostylis allantoidea)
Robust snail orchid (Pterostylis dilatata) 12/08/2018
Slender snail orchid (Pterostylis sp. ‘crinkled leaf’) 29/07/2015 (Pterostylis crispula)
Hairy-stemmed snail orchid (Pterostylis sp. ‘inland’) 04/07/2015 (Pterostylis setulosa)
Eastern granite snail orchid (Pterostylis sp. ‘miniature’) 09/07/2017
Skinny snail orchid (Pterostylis sp. ‘skinny’) 29/07/2015
Fawn snail orchid (Pterostylis parva)
Lort river snail orchid (Pterostylis sp. ‘south-coast clubbed sepals’) 02/07/2017
Red-sepaled snail orchid (Pterostylis erubescens)
Ravensthorpe snail orchid (Pterostylis sp. ‘Ravensthorpe’)
Karri snail orchid (Pterostylis karri)
Coastal snail orchid (Pterostylis sp. ‘coastal snail’)
Murdoch snail orchid (Pterostylis ectypha) 19/08/2020
Southern thick-sepaled snail orchid (Pterostylis meridianalis)
Brittle snail orchid (Pterostylis timothyi)
Pterostylis rufa complex (Rufous greenhoods)
Flowering – August to December
There are 23 Western Australian species
- Rosette may be withered at time of flowering.
- Narrow ended lateral sepals, joined at the base.
- Mostly spring flowering.
- Multi-flowered inflorescence.
Midget greenhood (Pterostylis mutica) 20/9/2017
Striped rufous greenhood (Pterostylis sp. ‘striped’) (Pterostylis zebrina)
Insect-lipped rufous greenhood (Pterostylis insectifera)
Ravensthorpe rufous greenhood (Pterostylis leptochila)
Rufous greenhood (Pterostylis roensis)
Elegant rufous greenhood (Pterostylis elegantissma)
Straight-topped rufous greenhood (Pterostylis sp. ‘straight tops’)
Pterostylis vittata complex (Banded greenhoods)
Flowering – April to October
There are 9 Western Australian species
- Flowering plants lack rosette of leaves.
- Short, broad lateral sepals, joined at the base.
- Green or brown, white banded flowers.
- Multi-flowered inflorescence.
Mallee banded greenhood (Pterostylis arbuscula) 12/08/2018
Crowded banded greenhood (Pterostylis atrosanguinea) 25/08/2020
Cupped banded greenhood (Pterostylis concava) 22/08/2020
Small banded greenhood (Pterostylis orbiculata) 25/08/2020
Dark banded greenhood (Pterostylis sanguinea) 25/07/2015
Frog greenhood (Pterostylis sargentii) 20/09/2017
Banded greenhood (Pterostylis vittata) 09/06/2018
Pterostylis barbata complex (Bird orchids)
Flowering – July to November
There are 14 Western Australian species
- No flattened rosette of leaves.
- Feather-like, irritable labellum.
- Long narrow lateral sepals, joined at the base.
- Numerous stem leaves.
Bird orchid (Pterostylis barbata)
Dwarf bird orchid (Pterostylis sp. ‘dwarf’) 20/09/2017 (Pterostylis galgula)
Bearded bird orchid (Pterostylis turfosa)
Flowering – August to October
This orchid does not fit into the other Pterostylis complexes
- Narrow ended, prominently recurved lateral sepals.
- Flowering plants lack a rosette of leaves.
- Numerous stem leaves, with a small dark-coloured, almost circular leaf near the base
Jug orchid (Pterostylis recurva) 19/9/2017
One thought on “Pterostylis – Greenhoods, shell orchids, bird orchids, snail orchids & jug orchid.”